50% OFF Vaccine Day Each Thursday! (Rabies, Distemper, Bordetella Vaccines Only)

Pet Travel Certificates

We offer pet travel certificates to ensure safe and
stress-free travel for your furry companion.

Pet Travel Certificates in Park Ridge, IL

At Touhy Animal Hospital, we understand that traveling with your pet can be an exciting adventure, but it also requires careful planning and preparation to ensure their safety and well-being.

Pet Travel Certificates

Our veterinary clinic in Park Ridge, IL, offers pet travel certificates to help make your travel experience smooth and stress-free.

What are pet travel certificates?

Pet travel certificates, also known as health certificates, are official documents issued by a licensed veterinarian that certify your pet’s health and compliance with specific travel requirements. These certificates are often necessary when traveling domestically or internationally with your pet, whether by air, land, or sea.

Pet travel certificates typically include the following:

  • Health Examination: A thorough physical examination by one of our experienced veterinarians to assess your pet’s overall health and ensure they are fit for travel.
  • Vaccination Records: Verify that your pet is up-to-date on all required vaccinations, including core vaccines and any additional vaccinations required by your travel destination.
  • Parasite Prevention: Documentation of current parasite prevention measures, such as flea and tick control, to ensure your pet does not carry any external parasites during travel.
  • Microchip Information: Confirmation of your pet’s microchip identification, which is often required for international travel and can be crucial in case of separation during the journey.
  • International Requirements: Compliance with any specific health and import requirements of the destination country, including documentation and testing for certain diseases.
  • Travel Tips: Helpful advice on preparing your pet for the journey, including tips on managing travel anxiety and ensuring their comfort during transit.

It’s essential to check the travel requirements of your destination well in advance, as each country or airline may have different regulations regarding pet travel. Some destinations may require additional documentation, such as quarantine arrangements or specific health tests, depending on your pet’s species and breed.

Our team at Touhy Animal Hospital is well-versed in pet travel requirements and can guide you through the process of obtaining the necessary travel certificates. We aim to make your pet’s travel experience as stress-free and safe as possible, ensuring that all the essential health and safety measures are met.

Please fill out this form to apply for an International Travel Certificate.
Your first visit must be at least 30 days prior to the planned departure day.

Download Travel-Certificate-Step-by-Step-Guide-dragged

Download & Print Form

It is imperative that all steps are followed correctly in order for you and your pet(s) to travel abroad.:

  1. Make an appointment with your vet a minimum of 30 days prior to your travel date for an exam and to ensure your pet(s) has all of the requirements needed for international travel. Please fill out our travel form so that we can start on your paperwork. Appointments are not confirmed if the travel form has not been received 24 hours prior to your appointment.
  2. Make an appointment with your vet 10 days before your flight to get your international certificate. Upon completion of your second appointment you will leave with a filled-out travel certificate and required rabies vaccination documentation. This certificate needs to be mailed to the USDA for endorsement. **Please note that certificates without endorsements are not valid for travel. **
  3. Provide payment of $38.00 to the USDA by check or credit card. Please make your check payable to the USDA. If paying by credit card, please fill out the attached credit card form. Include payment information in your envelope.
  4. Mail your envelope to the address below. (We highly recommend using FedEx or UPS with expedited or overnight shipping). Double check the following are in your envelope prior to sending:
    1. Travel Certificate Papers (provided by our office)
    2. Copy or copies of rabies vaccination(s) (provided by our office)
    3. Payment to the USDA (check or credit card form
    4. A return address shipping label (so that the certificate is mailed back to you after being endorsed)

Mailing address for USDA:
USDA, APHIS, Veterinary Services
VETS Service Center Great Lakes
1111 Deming Way, Suite 100 Madison, WI 53717

✈ Please note that Travel certificates without endorsements are not valid for travel✈

Appointments for travel are not confirmed unless we have received a completed travel form 24hrs prior to your appointment.

Please note the following:

    1. Signed & sealed travel certificates are only valid for 10 days from endorsement date
    2. Microchip must be done prior to Rabies vaccine (please review attached guidelines)
    3. Patient receiving a rabies vaccine must do so 21 days before travel (please review attached guidelines)
    4. Check with your airline for requirements and visit: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel and select the country of destination for up to date information as travel requirements are being updated frequently.

*It is critical that we are provided with all the information above in order to comply with the travel requirements and highly recommend that you visit the link above prior to your visit and 30 days before travel to ensure that all requirements are met*

Please note: A cancellation made with less than a 24 hour notice significantly limits our ability to make the appointment available for another patient in need. Appointment cancellations with less than 24hrs notice will incur a $42.00 charge.

We also offer dog park permits for pets, too!

For more information on these services, please contact us at 847-698-3123.